I wanted to create a diff of server-locale.jsp, but i never managed to get my changes compiled (i tried to run plugins or adminPlugin targets). So the entry on the Language selection page should be: "Русский (ru_RU)"
no worries, should be done now
I have added openfire_i18n_ru_RU.properties_UPDATED with updated russian translation provided by kyncevo (http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/message/203694#203694). There is one thing that i'm not sure about. He has added a title string and put his name and email there, so no everywhere in the GUI it shows this info instead of "Openfire". Actually it is strange that translation file lets you put links and then GUI parses them as a links.
The i18n files will simply allow you to do about everything, as it is a rather search/replace mechanism that takes a property name, and replaces it with a value. Using that, you can easily embed html tags. That's a known limitation (although it does come in handy on occasion too) of the system. It does require us to put an amount of trust in the person providing the translation.
Why did the contributor change the title of "Openfire" with his own name? At first glance, this seems ... cheeky, at the very least. From the top of my head, I can't think of a good reason to do this, other than a rather shameless promotion of your own identity. I do not like this. I'm happy to give credit where due, but I don't expect people stamping their name on the product like that. It's not a very professional practice either. That leaves me wondering about the quality of the work in the first place. Wroot, I'm not sure to what extend you can translate the Russian text in the file. Is it any good?
Well, i think he has done this to give his contact to users, so they could contact him if they find errors in his translation. Full text looks like "russian translation by Name LastName". And mailto link is there. Well, it looks weird to me too, though it is a fast way to contact translation author. Maybe it is better to add such tag on the language selection page near every language (name and contact).
As about translation. Well it is now a bit better than it was, but the first one was mostly a "google translate" type He has corrected some parts, it is not brilliant, but i think it is usable.
I've updated the translation in SVN, but kept the original title line. I couldn't find any other 'mailto' references in the new file.