We're updating the issue view to help you get more done. 

Character encoding issue in BOSH

Description

Users experience character encoding issues after an upgrade to Openfire 3.10.0.

Client (connected through BOSH) sends:

Server replies with:

Environment

None

Acceptance Test - Entry

None

Activity

Show:
Guus der Kinderen
October 12, 2015, 1:49 PM

So far, I am unable to reproduce the issue using jsjac (connecting to a local server running 3.11.0 Alpha) and Candy (connecting to igniterealtime.org, which is running 3.10.3 Alpha)

Florian Sailer
October 13, 2015, 2:48 PM

I downloaded 3.11.0 Alpha, installed in on my test system and still see this error. I have nginx configured as reverse proxy in front of openfire. Same setup works fine with 3.9.3. Is there anything i could do to help trace down this bug? Providing log files maybe?

Florian Sailer
October 16, 2015, 2:22 PM

I made some tests and figured out that i can fix the issue by adding "-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8" as option to the JVM. (On Ubuntu i added this to /etc/default/openfire). I hope this helps...

Guus der Kinderen
October 19, 2015, 11:24 AM
Edited

That was helpful Florian, thanks.

I've found the cause of the problem: when reading HTTP data from the client, an explicit character set is not defined, causing Java to fall back to the system default.

A pull request that addresses this issue is available here: https://github.com/igniterealtime/Openfire/pull/318

I was unable to merge the 3.10-based pull request into master neatly. I've created a second pull request for master here: https://github.com/igniterealtime/Openfire/pull/319

Assignee

Guus der Kinderen

Reporter

Guus der Kinderen

Labels

None

Expected Effort

None

Ignite Forum URL

None

Fix versions

Affects versions

Priority

Critical
Configure